Sweet Jean's Mustard Fried Chicken
Crispy, tender, and moist, this delicious fried chicken recipe offers a subtle sweetness you won’t find with regular mustard.
You can even combine our Sweet Habanero Mustard with melted butter to make a fabulous wing sauce.
- 5 pounds chicken wings, separated at joints, tips discarded
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon monosodium glutamate (MSG, or Accent flavor enhancer) (Optional)
- 3 tablespoons Sweet Jean’s Mustard
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 quart oil for frying, or as needed
- Season the chicken wings on both sides by sprinkling with seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and MSG. I like to lay it all out on a big plastic bag for easier clean up.
- Coat each piece with a thin layer of mustard. You may use a basting brush or your fingers.
- Put the flour into a plastic bag, add the chicken, and shake to coat.
- Heat the oil in a deep-fryer or deep heavy skillet to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- When the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook for 6 minutes on each side, or until juices run clear.
- Drain on paper towels, and cool for 5 minutes before serving!